Thursday, September 8, 2011

First day!




Just arrived, outside the house!

 
We arrived safely in the house early Wednesday morning on the 7th!  The trip was quite a long one.  I stayed up all night before leaving for the airport at 3:30 AM.  We met our massive group at LAX and proceeded through all the checkpoints without any major incidents.  We had about 2 hours to wait before our plane boarded, and I got to know some of the other students a bit more while waiting.  Our whole group seemed to get along well and we boarded the plane at 8:35 AM.  I got my sax on no problem!  That was something I was very worried about.  The first part of the flight was really exciting, even though we were only headed to Newark, but soon the tiredness took over.  I tried to stay up the whole first flight but the all-nighter got the best of me with 2 1/2 hours left.  The entirety of both of our flights consisted of trying to sleep and pass time, with no remarkable incidents.  I had some nice conversation with a friend on the way to Geneva.  We were in the middle section, so sadly we didn't get to look out the windows, but it was during the night anyway so it wasn't too much of a loss.

Finally we descended into Geneva.  We saw the sunrise over the clouds from the air!  I can’t describe the shock when I saw the beautiful Alps out of the left hand window!  I stressed a little with figuring out roommates, and one girl almost lost her passport, but it worked out without any problems.  I met Pete Lessing and Mary Mayenfisch, our Director and Assistant Director, both of whom are very nice.  Kevin Kelly, whom I had just met a few days before when we stayed in the same room before leaving the country, and I decided to be roommates.  We're still getting acquainted, but I think it's going to be a good pairing.  We have an unbelievable view of Lac Leman and the Alps from our balcony!  I can’t believe the beauty of this place!
            Later that day, we got a house tour, met the staff, and walked down to the Olympic Museum.  I've never been that tired in my life.  I feel so bad for our tour guide, she was so nice and outgoing, but everyone in our group was absolutely dead tired!  I felt like I was going to fall asleep walking, and I almost fell asleep a few times during dinner.  However, it definitely helped and I don't feel jet lagged at all!  (I'm writing this Thursday night).  Anyway, I'll put a new entry up here soon.  A bientôt tout le monde!


The unbelievable view from my balcony

No comments:

Post a Comment