Friday, September 9, 2011

More Orientation

We've mostly gotten over the jet lag by now, and we've started exploring the city.  Our second day (Thursday) we toured a medieval cathedral.  It was absolutely magnificent, and not too far of a walk from the house.  I'm still getting used to having a camera and I keep forgetting it when I go out, so unfortunately I only have one picture of it from far away, but when I visit again I will be sure to take pictures.  It's a lot easier than trying to describe it.  (By the way, click on pictures to make them bigger)



I'm still getting used to the food and drinks here.  We went to Le Barbare and all got their "hot chocolate."  It's something between our hot chocolate and chocolate pudding.  It's topped with ice cream-which is extremely rich-and whipped cream that I think is unsweetened (tastes more like butter).  All the milk here is incredibly creamy.  Apple Juice is closer to Martinelli's, and Fanta Orange is more like sweetened and carbonated orange juice.  All so very different.


Turns out I showed up with less than 10 shirts, all of which I had already worn at Pepperdine, so I went shopping for some European-esque clothes at H&M.  Surprisingly I found 4 good shirts for 45.- CHF (~$55).  The weather has been great here, just like back home, but once the cold hits I'll need to buy some warmer clothes too... and probably shoes too.  I didn't really bring shoes.

Then today (Friday) we met the French teachers and those of us in lower division French courses took a walk down to the lake.  It was beautiful!  Not a cloud in the sky.  The water was actually warmer than the ocean usually is in Malibu.  There's a skate park down by the water... not exactly something I expected to see.  There are some nice parks to walk/run through, volleyball courts, paddle boats... so many things to do down there!  I hope to go kayaking sometime soon.


I also passed a music store downtown with some saxes in the window (one bari was a little more than 10,000.- CHF, about $4,000 more than in the US), so I hope to visit there when they're open.  Also, I want to stop by the jazz school here in town next week.  I found out one of the professors here is a jazz singer, so hopefully I'll get the chance to talk to him too!

We're going to the Vineyards tomorrow, and we have a free day Sunday.  Wish me luck exploring!  Au revoir!

No comments:

Post a Comment